Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We all make mistakes...

Recently I had an interesting weekend of blunders.
It all started simply. We were picking up the house on a Friday night and M came across the Mazda Zoom-Zoom sticker I had bought her when she got her New Mazda Three about two years ago. I know... it took that long to put the decal in the car. Well it had been misplaced.
Anyways we came across the sticker, and before it could be misplaced again I was going to put it in the car. Here are the results:Well if it is not clear here is a closer look.
Yes my wife's car goes Mooz-mooz-mooz. She had me take the sticker out before she started attracting any cows. In my defense I thought the sticker was written backwards to go on the inside of the car. That was not the case.
Problem two of the weekend came when we decided to solve the moth problem in our cupboards. We had been seeing a few moths in the cupboard and decided that it was time to really solve this problem. It turns out they had gotten into everything, even sealed containers. We had to throw out lots of food from the cabinets to get rid of all of the larva.
I guess these moths are called Indian grain moths. They got into everything. The scary thing is I just found another two larva a week later in the last tissue in the tissue box. They were living in the tissue! I hope that we have sufficiently killed enough to keep the population small. But we learned a valuable lesson we need to be careful when stocking food in the pantry. There was some food in there that was rather old but we didn't think was going to go bad. We probably threw out enough food to feed us for a month.
The last blunder of the weekend had a pleasant end but a painful start.
I had written about our vegetable garden during the summer months well we had not seen a single zucchini from the zucchini plant. It turns out that the vine had produced one zucchini but it had hidden from us behind the planting box. Well it had gotten to be about 2 feet long and 5 inches in diameter. We thought that we would stuff it and bake it. We had made baked stuffed eggplant from our garden before and thought that this would work great with the zucchini too. We quartered the zucchini and carved out the seeds (We didn't eat them but if I had thought of it we could have baked them like pumpkin seeds). We diced up some tomatoes and eggplant from the garden and also got out some spicey Italian sausage. We were opening sausage casings and sauteing them in some olive oil when I accidentaly splashed the oil on my arm.
I am actually glad the picture did not come out any better because it would look a whole lot worse. It still looks pretty bad a week later. There were 5 big blisters on my arm 3 were the size of a dime. Oil Burns really hurt. I have been told that it might take a long time for the wounds to fully heal.
Now to end the story. We blended the sauteed sausage, eggplant and tomatoes with some bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. We also mixed in some soft crumbled goat cheese.
We stuffed it into the quartered zucchini and put spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese over it all. This picture is only half of it!
This picture was taken a day later of the left overs. It did taste good but the skin was a little tough.
We all make mistakes but at least this out had a tasty end.

No comments: