Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Let the Real Experiment Begin...

I just spent the past 20 minutes with my happy new baby! Linnaea Joy Kraus was born on June 2nd and is now more than one month old. Hopefully that excuses at least a few months of my lack of blogs. She was born 8 pounds 2 ounces and 20.5 inches long. There she is!
I promise she is a happy baby and a pleasure to hold and behold more often than not.
So you ask why did I only hold her for 20 minutes. No, my wife did not take her away she is teaching voice lessons in the other room right now. No other family took her away from me. She was happily settled and I thought I would take this time to update my blog.
Wait...I have to go she is fussing again. Can't let her disturb the lesson.
For a few moments it was more like this


Alright more about my little girl.

I had an amazing revelation a few days after she was born. I was returning home in the car from a few errands and I noticed that the girl in the car next to me had several facial piercings; eyebrow, nose, tongue, etc.. While in the past I never held it against a person that they had piercings and even in some cases thought it looked good. I would question a parent that did not allow their child to get piercings. But, suddenly watching that girl in the car next to me, and there was nothing garish about her piercings they were tasteful. I realized that a parent looks at their child and sees perfection and wonders why their child would want to do anything to change that. It was not about protection from evils or restrictions because it is less socially acceptable. It was simply to preserve the beauty that was already there. How could anything be done to improve that...
I have to leave you with a better picture of Linnaea than the last one. Because to a parent you want the world to see your child for as beautiful as you see them.
So, Linnaea is here after much anticipation and I am looking forward to the next many years. It will be a grand experiment. And I have confidence that despite some errors along the way and bumps in the road it will come out better than can be expected.

2 comments:

gilroy gal said...

Awesome perspective..couldn't have said it better myself! Matter of fact, may write it down so I can quote it to my oldest daughter who seems to be heading toward a 'half sleeve' tattoo!

Have to say, Linnea is one beautiful baby. Hope I get to meet her sometime soon...perhaps at Thanksgiving if we make it out there to visit with Stephanie.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you better by visiting your blog!
Barbara (Schock) Orth

Mindy said...

Congrats on your beautiful girl! I was checking in on the latest caches and lo and behold - a baby! Good for you.
Take lots of pictures and live in the moment - it goes so fast. My oldest, a baby herself not too long ago, just graduated from HS. Not sure how that happened so fast. Enjoy!!